How Do You Clean a Golf Cart Floor Mat?
July 28 2022 – Brandon Burkey
While a newly installed golf cart floor mat adds a touch of luxury to your cart with its sharp-looking ridge lines, unique perimeter trim, and full-coverage protection, it won’t stay that way for long once it’s subjected to the dirt and debris of the golf course. If you’re looking to get the most time and protection out of your golf cart floor mat, then it’s important to know how to clean it to extend its lifespan and to keep it looking sharp. Here is why you need to keep your floor mat clean, and a step-by-step guide on how to go about cleaning it.
Why You Must Clean Your Golf Cart Floor Mat Regularly
As you go about using your golf cart, your golf cart floor mat will inevitably become littered with dirt, debris, and grass. While this can be extremely unsightly to look at, it’s important to remember that even if you can’t see all the debris, it’s there and can lead to slipping hazards if left alone. Over time, this dirt and debris can build up on the mat and either grind down the mat itself, or cause friction between the mat and your golf cart’s OEM flooring, resulting in wear and tear. Plus, a buildup of dirt and debris may make cleaning your golf cart floor mat a more difficult and time-consuming task.
In addition to this, a build-up of dirt and debris on your golf cart floor mat can also lead to the growth of mold and mildew, depending on what type of debris you’re tracking into your cart. If not taken care of, not only can this lead to your mat smelling musty, but it can potentially do long-term damage to your cart’s flooring.
In extreme cases, a very dirty or wet golf cart floor mat can even lead to electrical issues if the water seeps into places where it shouldn’t be. By regularly cleaning your golf cart floor mat, it will help to prolong its life and keep it looking like new.
5 Steps to Cleaning Your Golf Cart Floor Mat
Cleaning your golf cart floor mat is a relatively simple process that only takes a few minutes to complete. Here are the five steps you need to follow:
- Remove the Mat from the Cart. The first step is to remove the floor mat from the golf cart. This will make it easier to clean and will also prevent any dirt or debris from getting onto the cart’s flooring.
- Shake Off Or Use Air to Remove Loose Debris. The second step is to either give your mat a good shake to remove the loose debris, or grab compressed air to remove any debris that is clinging to the mat, but that isn’t firmly stuck on. While you can use an air compressor to do this job, you may be able to get away with a small can of compressed air as well.
- Vacuum or Hose Down The Floor Mat for Stuck on Debris [Optional]. The third step is to vacuum or hose down the golf cart floor mat to remove any debris that is stuck on. If you have an outdoor hose, you can rinse the mat off with this, or use a shop vac or handheld vacuum if you don’t have an outdoor hose. This is only really recommended if you have a lot of dirt, sand, or debris that is solidly stuck on that may be difficult to remove with hot soapy water and a scrub brush.
- Soak the Mat in Soapy Water and Scrub It Clean. The fourth step is to grab some alcohol-free automotive soap of choice and soak the mat in warm soapy water. Use a golf cart floor mat cleaning brush and apply light pressure to clean the mat thoroughly and remove any remaining dirt.
- Rinse the Mat, Air Dry It, and Reinstall. The fifth and final step is to rinse your golf cart floor mat off with clean, non-soapy water and let it air dry. While it may be tempting to put it in direct sunlight, we don’t recommend doing this as it can cause your golf cart floor mat to fade. Once the mat is dry, you can reinstall it on your golf cart.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your golf cart floor mat clean without exposing it to harmful chemicals, and extend its lifespan. If you have any questions or comments about cleaning your golf cart floor mat, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d be happy to help!